Monday, July 9, 2012

Date Night with the Twins

Date night with the twins



So Saturday night Troy's mom offered to watch Charli so she could play with her cousin, and we could have a dinner minus the opinionated 2.5 year old.

I got dressed up well somewhat, jean shorts, t-shirt, flip flops, and hair half wet since I didn't want to take the time to blow dry it. I always get ready before I get the kiddos ready (even when I just had one) because if I didn't then I would probably not ever wear make-up or do my hair. This was also coincidently recommended by the book I read "Twin Sense" by Dagmara Scalise.


A Must Read if you have twins or even two in diapers at the same time


I packed the diaper bag for the twins, with two bottles from the fridge. I asked Troy if I should make fresh bottles just in case those bottles wouldn't be warm enough by the time we ate. He said, "Nah, they will be fine!" Remember this for later.

Anyways, we dropped Charli off at Grammy's about 6pm, and then we are driving down the road and the dreaded question comes out:

"Where do you want to go?"

Proceeded by me saying, "I don't care" proceeded by me repeating the dreaded question, and Troy responding, "I don't know."

AHHHH!!!!!! So then the next worst thing is said:

"Let's just drive"

NEVER do this...you end up driving around and by the time you could be sitting down eating or waiting somewhere in line you instead spend your time in the car deciding where to go, while you progressively get more mad at one another because you want someone to just decide (as long as you agree with the decision of course).

Meanwhile, my mind is calculating the last time the twins ate which was at 4:30 so that meant that they needed to eat about 7:30 which would have been right smack in the middle of dinner.

By the time we hit Downtown Fort Worth, I knew I had to act fast. Troy is unable to decide when we are in this situation. I know he is trying to read my mind, and pick what he thinks I want. He thinks that I am doing the same, but I am not, I am thinking "We better decide soon because I don't want to have two cranky hungry babies when we walk in somewhere to eat."

So I say let's go to Joe T.'s, it was nice out with the storm front that blew in that afternoon, and it may not be too crowded since it was overcast.

We drove by and the line was about a 20-30 minute wait from what I could guess, Troy said he wasn't going to wait. But, I vetoed him and said to park. (I knew if we drove away it would be another 30 minutes before we could decide again on a destination.)

So we unloaded, purse, diaper bag, bottles, double stroller, and Josi and Libbi.

In line, we get the new usual comments:

"You've got you hands full"
(Inner voice thinking: Yes we know and we have a 2 year old at home too)

"Wow, look at those little boys"
(Inner voice thinking: First, just because they are wearing green doesn't mean they are boys, second, they have HOT PINK carseats!)

and my personal favorite!:

"Are they twins?"
(Inner voice thinking: No, I just had them a week apart :)

I understand the questions, the gawking, and the constant reminder of people telling us we have our hands full. We DO have our hands full, and I know this.

So we wait in line, and proceed to sit down at our table. This takes longer than normal because I realize that I need to position the girls so that we can feed them. We sit down and I get the bottles out and they are cold. Very cold.

My mind is thinking....hmmmm....Who should I have listened to when I asked myself the question about if I should make fresh bottles? or bottles from the fridge?

I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO MYSELF!!!!!!!!

I look at Troy and say, we are gonna have to figure out how to warm these cold bottles, so we ask for a glass of hot water.

The waitress brings us the first glass and realizes that it is not warm enough (thank goodness she did because I didn't want to have to kindly ask for another) then she brings a hot glass out. I start to warm the bottles and the twins start fussing.


The sweat starts pouring and the anxiety starts building, I don't want to ruin anyone else's date night with two screaming hungry babies. Please let these bottles warm quickly. I play the paci game and start giving the girls their sassies.

We get the bottles warm enough, and start feeding the girls! Ahhhhh peace....

We fed them, and then fed ourselves and it was really nice.

Until we had to leave :)

Note to self: There is only one way into and out of Joe T Garcia's restaurant with a stroller/wheelchair, and that path is right through the crowd of people waiting to get into the patio. I have to walk down saying excuse me, coming through with my GIGANTIC BUS of a stroller. While the margarita-in-hand young singles who are able to eat dinner later than 8 o'clock at night look at us and smile in sheer terror. ;-)~




After making it down the ramp, we look at each other and laugh and Troy says our new favorite line:

"Gotta love Twin-life"

We smile, get into our Swagger Wagon, and pick-up our Charli in time to do the bed time routine.


The Twin-life, wouldn't have it any other way!

1 comment:

  1. I know you are use to the twin questions since your mom is an identical twin too. I know as they grow up a little you will hear I bet there sisters.Your paw paw refused to go to the store and shopping because he is quite and it would take an extra 30 minutes for questions.
    This is a remarkable blessing every time I am with them it just makes me think what my mom and went through and they loved every minute of it.Then 13 months later our little sister was born this meant 3 in diapers.My mom said we taught Donna how to do everything.I am guessing Charli,will teach the twins alot and we will all go through this together.

    ReplyDelete